About Me

My photo
Little geek girl and her dog shouting out at the world

Monday 18 April 2011

Piece Peace

So on Thursday I popped into Fabricland to buy all my quilting needs.  I got lucky because they are having a 40% sale on right now so I got all my stuff pretty much half price and also they sold a beginner's quilting kit.   I will probably go back at some point and get a bigger ruler, but it looks like what I have got now will last me awhile.

So cutting...cutting, cutting, cutting....VERY nerve racking; I'm far too used to knitting where if you screw something up, you can just pull it out and start over again. So this was a bit, 'aargh'.

I went online and saw how the experts do it and gave it a whirl.  I'll admit I had to do a few practice runs and there's probably more scraps in the pile than there should be, but after a bit I got the hang of it.  I think I just needed to use the blade with a bit more conviction.....like flipping a crêpe,  you can't do it half-hearted or else it will screw up.

I REALLY loved pieces the pieces together;  putting the squares together and seeing how they fit together. 
So, after an afternoon's work (because it was, yes, SNOWING, outside) I ended up with this:
Now, I have some criticism of my work because there  is a bit of puckering on the seam between the two rows.  I'm flip flopping on redoing it.  Normally, I would, but I'm bit worried that I'll make it worse, so I'm going to assume that my skills will improve as I continue quilting.

I'll probably get another row done before I go to D.C. and finish the rest when I get back.   Then it's just the simple task of figuring out how to quilt.  easy peasy.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment